Dec 31, 2015

Unknown Waters.

Happy last day of 2015!

The turning page of the last day of one year to the new one has always been my very favorite.

Some people says it's just another day in the span of life, no different than another, and although I agree in one sense, there's another part of me that's at once introspective and bursting with energy and wanting to set new goals and make plans! A new year feels like a brand new notebook to me, let's decide how we'd like to fill it!

But of course, I hold these plans loosely, and really they're just fun things - I don't make resolutions for personal and spiritual change because that life of sanctification is a daily, looking to Christ thing, not to be accomplished by pure self-effort and trying harder or a big decision at the beginning of the year. Oh, how I'm thankful for that!

In the midst of drinking coffee (because how will I make it till midnight?) and preparing a few things for a little get-together tonight, I picked up my beloved Valley of Vision and opened up to this entry, how fitting! Thought you might enjoy it too.

NEW YEAR

O Lord,

Length of days does not profit me
except the days are passed in Thy presence,
in thy service, to thy glory.
Give me a grace that precedes, follows, guides,
sustains, sanctifies, aids every hour,
that I may not be one moment apart from thee,
but may rely on Thy Spirit
to supply every thought,
speak in every word,
direct every step,
prosper every work,
build up every mote of faith,
and give me a desire
to show forth Thy praise;
testify Thy love,
advance Thy kingdom.

I launch my bark on the unknown waters of this year,
with Thee, O Father, as my harbour,
Thee, O Son, at my helm,
Thee, O Holy Spirit, filling my sails.

Guide me to heaven with my loins girt,
my lamp burning,
my ear open to Thy calls,
my heart full of love,
my soul free.

Give me Thy grace to sanctify me,
Thy comforts to cheer,
Thy wisdom to teach,
Thy right hand to guide,
Thy counsel to instruct,
Thy law to judge,
Thy presence to stabilize.

May Thy fear be my awe,
Thy triumphs my joy.

~

Has this year been difficult for you? Has it held good things and joy?

If you're like me, it's been a mix of both difficulty and blessing, of answered prayer and prayers that are still being offered up.

Wherever you're at, I pray for all of us that as we move forward into the unknown, we can trust our heavenly Father who does all things well, and for our good.


1 comment:

  1. Great poem!!! (is it a poem?! lol!) Either way, yes, fitting and lovely!! Happy New year to you and your family!! ♥ Oh and good job on making it to midnight...I, did not! ;) hahahah!!

    (Ack, I see you have a latest post side bar thing and it looks like I've missed a few post!?! I will have to check those out soon!)

    ReplyDelete