Nov 6, 2015

November weather and educational ponderings.






















The first week of November has brought warmer than usual temperatures and we've had some lovely days outside taking in as much sun as we can.

It seems we were just looking out into the snow and anticipating spring (or is it just me?) and here we are on the brink of winter again.

As much as I don't look forward to having to bundle three little people up every time we want to head outdoors, I'm also okay with the changing of another season...there is a different kind of beauty in each. But for now, I'm enjoying these extended days of warmth and wind and scattered leaves that go crunching under our feet.
























 
When not chasing around these adorable people, I've been doing some reading on educational philosophies and approaches, specifically Charlotte Mason style homeschooling. Anyone familiar with this? From my research so far, I have to say I'm happily excited! My poor husband is constantly interrupted in the evenings as I want to tell him about this book and that blog post and these ideas and what Charlotte thought about _____.

As a child I loved to play teacher and the prospect of getting to do this in real life soon (or already, depending on how you look at it) makes me a little giddy. Especially getting to learn  along with my littles, eek!

(Note: I realize homeschooling has it's very real and difficult aspects but for now I'm enjoying my rose-coloured it's-all-delightful-theory view!)



6 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos!! I'm so sad I missed all the warm weather! :( I would have loved it out there! I'm glad you were out and with your camera! :D
    Ps- LOVE your disclaimer! Hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, not the greatest timing for you sickies huh? :( Glad you appreciated my little disclaimer, hehe.

      Delete
  2. They are so we also precious. I haven't heard about Charlotte Mason but will check it out. Personally homeschooling isn't well-received here in Russia, but at the same time we want to delay schooling for awhile, so preschool activities will happen at home for now. With all the research coming out I am more and more mindful of wanting the learning to happen through play... as tempting as it is to get out textbooks and school supplies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can send you a few links and such on facebook if you'd like! I really think you'd love her ideas. Definitely way ahead of her time in thinking that formal academics should be delayed until the child is older, even 5 or 6. Not saying I'm completely on board with that, but precisely because these are such formative years she thought they should be filled with as much time exploring outside as possible, the formation of good habits, exploring with the five senses, etc. Lots of read alouds too. The idea being to create a love and enjoyment of learning...or maybe rather to foster that already-there quality rather than squelch it with too-early bookwork and discipline. I could go on...it's interesting stuff :)

      Delete
    2. Sure, would love to hear more.

      Delete
  3. Whoops...the words in my text jumped around (crazy touchpad), but you get the gist.

    ReplyDelete