May 21, 2015

Book love: Motherhood and Parenting

Here's a compilation of recommended books on mothering. Some I've read and some are on my list of would-like-to-read. (I'm currently trying to earn swagbuck points towards an amazon giftcard so I can indulge my book-buying temptations!)

A couple are not specific or exclusive to this topic but they have been an inspiration and encouragement to me as a mother. If you've enjoyed some of these or have other suggestions let me know in the comments! I love talking books!

Books I've Read:



1. The Shaping of a Christian Family: How My Parents Nurtured My Faith  - Elisabeth Elliot feels more like a close mentor to me than an author I've never met - basically I would recommend anything she has written! In this book she tells the story of her family and the home she grew up in - it's an interesting read and full of wise advice and encouragement for raising children and establishing a christian home.
 
2. Give Them Grace: Dazzling Your Kids with the Love of Jesus - There were some points I didn't agree with or find helpful but the overall message of the book was refreshing and thought-provoking for me: that our goal as parents isn't to produce "good kids" but rather to point them to the Savior. Some other take-aways: the importance of cultivating a culture of grace in the home - asking forgiveness when we as parents sin and keeping our focus on the good news of the gospel.

3.  Loving the Little Years: Motherhood in the Trenches - This book reads like an informal collection of blog posts but it's packed with wise advice. I actually read it the first time as a new mom...I enjoyed it but was recently reading it again and laughed and cried my way through parts. Probably because I can better identify with many of the stories now! The author is honest and funny and applies biblical wisdom to a wide range of "issues" we have to deal with as moms to little ones.

4.  Stepping Heavenward - The fictional journal of a girl in the 1800's, moving from girlhood to later adulthood. The emphasis is on her growth and pursuit of Christ as she journeys along life's path. So much wisdom to be gleaned! I did a post with some quotes here.

5. The Hidden Art of Homemaking  - This is a bit of an old-fashioned read but inspiring - the author (wife of the late theologian Francis Schaeffer) writes about the many creative opportunities that exist in the home, encouraging her readers that beauty and creativity are worthwhile pursuits because God is a God of beauty and creativity. She writes, "I would define 'hidden art' as the art found in the ordinary areas of everyday life. Each person has, I believe, some talent which is unfulfilled in some hidden area of his being - a talent which could be expressed and developed." Each chapter focuses on a specific area of creativity, providing ideas and inspiration.

6. Steady Days: A Journey Towards Intentional, Professional Motherhood - While not having a christian focus, I found this book helpful in casting a vision for the opportunities of motherhood and helping me to think practically about planning and guiding our days in a purposeful way. An easy and fun read.


Books I want to read:



As I haven't had a chance to get my hands on copies yet I can't offer comment but these recommendations have come from trusted or respected sources so I'm sure they're good. If you've read them let me know what you think!

7. The Mission of Motherhood: Touching Your Child's Heart for Eternity

8. For the Children's Sake: Foundations of Education for Home and School 

9. A Mother's Heart: A Look at Values, Vision, and Character for the Christian Mother

10. Mom Enough: The Fearless Mother's Heart and Hope


2 comments:

  1. Last year I read Lisa Jo Baker's "Surprised by Motherhood," more of a memoir. If you want I can see if I can lend it to you on Kindle? I know that's sometimes possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you like it? I don't have a kindle but we have a program on our computer that lets us read e-books? I don't know much about it but if you think it could work you can message me on facebook about it. :)

      Delete