Sep 17, 2014

On turning thirty and remembering where I've been


Tomorrow is my birthday! It's a little crazy because I've hardly thought about age over the last few years (admittedly, I paid close attention to these numbers when I was single) and now all of the sudden I'm turning thirty tomorrow and I wonder how that can be because I feel like I should be turning twenty-seven or so! It's good though.

The babies are asleep and I just finished seeing my fiddle student out the door (a new venture!) and now I have candlelight and a cup of coffee and some quiet. My husband was hard at work on renovations all day and would like to spend time with me but he knows I get all introspective at the eve of new things or beginnings and I need to take this time to think some thoughts! :)




So, tonight I thought I would list a few things that my twenties have held. This has been such a decade of growth for me with many good and some difficult things. My journals will hold most of the latter secret but for fun here are some happenings of note that my twenties brought:

I attended Bible school seven hours away from home. I learned so much over this year...I loved studying and making new friendships and fellowshipping with Christians from all over the world. One of my roommates was from Korea and we whispered our way into many late nights and ate Korean hot sauce and noodles for snacks and laughed often until our sides hurt. We haven't kept close contact over the years but I am grateful for  Kendra, who I met during that year and who is one of my best friends today.
I held a variety of jobs: I worked at a call center. I worked as an administrative assistant for children's aid. Along with my sister, I started a housekeeping and senior care business. (The toilets weren't always fun to clean but I adopted several seniors as grandparents and enjoyed many a cup of coffee at a kitchen table along with stories and laughs.) I worked as a support worker in group homes for individuals with developmental disabilities. I met many amazing people and was privileged to see some of God's beautiful purposes through their lives and challenges.
I took a long distance writing course. I am not a disciplined nor very talented writer but I still entertain dreams of someday having articles published and perhaps making some extra income as I stay at home to raise our children.
I began to blog and somehow (I don't remember which rabbit trail led to which) began to be interested in studying theology from a more reformed perspective. John Piper was a new name to me but his writings and others (and most specifically how they taught Scripture) opened up a much broader and more beautiful view of the Sovereignty and grace of God.
As a result of this God began to grow in me a new passion for the gospel and I joined an evangelism group that spent Friday evenings in the downtown of a city offering the good news to any willing to listen. Few things have made me feel more alive then telling other sinners and thirsty souls where I've found forgiveness and water and where they can too. 
Just when I was getting used to being single (and feeling pretty content) I met my husband through this ministry! We went from dating to marriage in less than ten months, and I'm not sure a day has went by that I haven't felt so grateful for God bringing us together.
I became mommy to Joshua and then Miriam, learning a love I couldn't have imagined. Parenthood is life-changing in so many joyous (and some challenging!) ways...it is such a gift to be a mother.

These are just a handful of things that come to mind as I look back over the last ten years. I'm more and more aware of how fleeting this earthly life really is... it is a precious thing to know I am in God's hands, that I belong to Him. I sin and fall short in many ways but He is so gracious to be patient with me and to have a purpose for my life and days.

With this in mind I step into this new decade with confident hope in Him!

All the way my Savior leads me,
What have I to ask beside?
Can I doubt His tender mercy,
Who through life has been my Guide?
Heav’nly peace, divinest comfort,
Here by faith in Him to dwell!
For I know, whate’er befall me,
Jesus doeth all things well;
For I know, whate’er befall me,
Jesus doeth all things well. 
      (All the Way My Savior Leads Me, by Fanny Crosby) 
                        

6 comments:

  1. Fun post and an even better occasion! Happy Birthday! I know what you mean about having your introspection time interrupted, ha ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post... Thanks for the shout out! I'm glad we can be friends. The Lord has certainly been good in bringing us together after BI when I went 7 hours from home to secular college. :) I think the Lord has led both of us to a more Reformed way of viewing our faith... though I have not yet set my hat in that camp (even with working and worshiping with many who do). I'll have to plan an introspective post on the occasion of my 30th birthday in a few months (granted the Lord tarries). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice introspective post. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that song - might have to pull out that cd again! Welcome to 30! I can't believe your 30...cause that means I'm older then that! Hahah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday!! And I am so enamored that you have two babies asleep at once! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed reading this! It's always fun to see how God leads our paths to the lives we currently live. :)

    ReplyDelete