Feb 20, 2014

A new hobby.


For years, I've been a collector of words - scribbling down in notebooks phrases and poems and quotes I came across and wanted to remember.

I read somewhere recently that it's not whole books that change us, it's sentences, and I agree - it's the small bits of truth and beauty and encouragement that stay behind and change us after we've forgotten the rest.

For some time now I've wanted to turn some of these collected words into art for our home - framed and hung on a wall or placed on a shelf, to be glanced at and pondered as we go about our day.

I've seen some beautiful prints online but, lacking the right computer software or skill, designing my own wasn't really an option.

And then I began to notice lovely script that looked hand-done here and there on the internet, and realized it was calligraphy. I didn't know people were still doing this but apparently it's made a comeback! Not the stuffy, old english style I attempted as a teenager, but bright, fun, modern lettering (do an image search for modern calligraphy to see what I mean).

I was in love, so what was there to do but get myself some beginner's supplies and get to work?

First attempts...







I've only gotten a bit of practice in and I think it will take much more to get even close to skilled  but the creative possibilities are endless and I'm excited to improve and make some of those prints I've been itching to do!


8 comments:

  1. Your calligraphy is beautiful! I've always been in love with calligraphy and have always wanted to learn--I have to admit, I'm a little jealous of your talent! :) This makes me want to try and take a course now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! It looks like you are off to a wonderful start! Dave has always enjoyed calligraphy and I'm often amazed at what he can do! I love to work in pen and ink but I don't have the patience for lettering! ;) I can't wait to see what you create!!! :D (the last row of capital A's are my favourite there!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I'm pretty sure we'd be best friends IRL. I've taken this hobby up for about a year now and although lately I haven't had time or room to practice it's something the new house will allow me to do. I've put a kit on my wishlist - oblique pen + ink well, rather than just the calligraphy pen or marker. I still use snail mail and have pen pals :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my mom does calligraphy! She sold some greeting cards with Bible verses, and learned how to use a large brush to calligraph verses for interiors and the like. She also does it on fabric. I started doing it at one point in college, but haven't done it recently. I find it much easier to use one of those pens with the cartridge inside. You can even buy different colors. My mom uses sort of an "uncial" alphabet, but it might not be the modern look you're going for. I had forgotten she had a site, here it is: http://www.annehulley.com/cloth.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful. I remember you loving to use my pen as a teenager. You were quite good! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you still pregnant?! :) I keep checking in to see if you've got news. I'm excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, still very much pregnant :) I've been trying to get to a pregnancy post, hopefully this week!

      Delete
  7. Oh wow, I'm so impressed at your first "attempts" - your letters look great!

    ReplyDelete