Aug 4, 2013

Lessons from Corrie (an introduction)


Have you heard of Corrie ten Boom? She was a Dutch Christian who lived in Holland with her elderly father and sister during World War II. They hid Jews from the Nazis in their home and were eventually arrested. Their father passed away in prison shortly after but Corrie and her sister Betsie were sent to the Ravensbruck concentration camp in Germany where they endured horrific conditions. After almost a year of suffering Betsie passed away and shortly after Corrie was miraculously released due to a clerical error. Their story is told in detail in Corrie's first book, "The Hiding Place" (which was later made into a film).

I recommend it, but my favourite of her books is the sequal she wrote called "Tramp for the Lord" in which she documents life after walking away from Ravensbruck.

Amazingly, she did not retreat into a private life of bitterness and resentment. Instead she answered the Lord's call to travel around the world as a missionary sharing her story of suffering and redemption, using her experiences as a platform to speak about forgiveness and the transforming love of Christ.

She writes in a simple and honest way that draws you in and makes you feel like you are sitting at a kitchen table hearing her talk over cups of tea.  Many chapters read as separate short essays as she recounts stories and life lessons from her travels around the globe.

I'll admit, there are a couple sections where I might tend to disagree with some of her theological ideas but these really are minor points. 

I was encouraged over and over again as I read this book, seeing her strong reliance upon God and childlike faith. So I thought I would document just a few of the impressions and lessons that I've learned from Corrie, which I'll share next post.



No comments:

Post a Comment