Jun 19, 2013

June beauty and seeking God


Flowers along the little grove of trees in our backyard - aren't they lovely? The sun sets behind these trees and in the evening the lighting is perfectly soft and glowy.

Spending time in nature should be nothing less than a worship experience, I think. When we stop and notice the variety, the order, the creativity - there is much to be learned about our Creator God, the author of all the rich beauty to be found.




















































We have had a lot of rainy days, but some sunshine too, and cool mornings perfect for taking a hot cup of coffee outside, along with my bible (I have to time this right, when Joshua goes down for a nap!).

I have such a hunger for Scripture lately. For many months after having our baby I struggled with spending time in the Word and in prayer. I was so tired and this new life with a baby was an adjustment in many ways. Some days I would try and get back in order but to be honest there were many stretches of days where I wasn't spending intentional time with the Lord at all. Still, He was so faithful to me, showing me many evidences of His love and patience through this time. But I felt parched, needing the water that is the Word of God. It is a gift from Him to feel that thirst, and this gift has been in abundance over the last while for me. I'm thankful for that, trying to be faithful in seeking Him.

And I'm not commending myself here - it's not that I'm a "good Christian" and am doing the right thing by spending x amount of time in the Word - I'm just desperate for God, I need Him. I need Him for the hunger I feel and the parts of me I need changed and I need Him for wisdom in this life because I don't want to drift, to spend the time He gives for selfish desires and pursuits.  I want to know Him, to know His word and live it out.

Distractions and busyness come too easily, but there is always a way, and He longs to meet with us. 


8 comments:

  1. I was thinking about this today. I need to get that hunger again. I believe that if I dig into Scripture, my desire will increase. But it's a little hard to take the first step. David doesn't really give me a chance to have a real quiet-time, but I could do it while he's playing or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, as we read the desire grows. It can be hard to find the time with a baby, especially if you feel like it's not worth it unless you can get some uninterrupted time which is hard to come by! I'm lucky in that my boy is pretty good with naps right now. Praying for you Elizabeth, as you make the effort!

      Delete
  2. Oh nature IS such a worship of God! You are right on that - whenever I look out my window or walk around the yard, I take in a deep breath and think of His creativity, His wonder and His majesty! OH yes, our God is a loving God - He is always there, ready, waiting - Christ calling us - if only we look, turn and run to Him! Busyness does sneak up on us - I am happy to hear you are being so intentional to meet and spend that time with Him - so truly important! :) ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have nature in abundance to enjoy! And thanks for your encouragement, Kaitlin :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for being real, it challenges me and encourages me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too friend, me too. I'd like to say it gets easier as he'll get older but I don't think we've quite reached that point of fully being self-entertained and safe. :) Have you ever heard of SheReadsTruth? Daily devotionals even via your phone but I still need time to write, it's how I learn best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Stephanie,

    I stumbled upon your blog via a comment you left on Becky Pliego's blog (I was also encouraged by her "How Do You Tell His Story To Your Children" post) and how wonderful to see a familiar face! :) I've only had time to read a few posts but I have been blessed on my brief "visit" here. And what a gift it is to hunger and find satisfaction in His word.

    Congrats on the birth of your little one (a few months late!).

    Blessings,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete