May 15, 2013

The other side of motherhood and lilacs.


We've had bad colds in the house the past few days. I thought I would add  this because it seems fitting with the sentimental post I did for mother's day, at least to show the real life not-so-wonderful moments of being mom!

Feeling particularly bad on Monday, I remarked to my husband several times that it was not fair to be sick and not have the luxury to sleep the day away or lie uninterrupted on the couch with a box of tissues, hot tea, and a movie. My baby was whiny and snotty, wouldn't sleep or nurse well and didn't want to be anywhere except my arms, and was even fussy there. I did my fair share of complaining and whining myself so I guess we were a good pair.

Yes, motherhood is not all cuddles and sweet moments and gushing sentimentality!


























Yesterday I felt a bit better and had to go outside to take a few pictures of our lilac bush before the blooms fade away.

I love lilacs and they just don't last long enough. I filled an old green-glass vase with a few bunches and put them on my living room coffee table and they've filled the room with their scent.



































Today it looks like rain and I'm planning on catching up on some cleaning indoors. Somehow the return of normality and feeling better makes me itch to get things in order again. My upstairs bathroom has been neglected to an embarrassing extent. I've been thinking I may need to start assigning certain cleaning chores to specific days to help me get them done. I just seem to get preoccupied with other things! Do you work from a cleaning schedule or are you a fly-by-nighter?

Speaking of preoccupied, I am also finishing up preparations for my sister's bridal shower this weekend. I'm so excited about this! I might take some pictures to share.


10 comments:

  1. It's hard not having the luxury of being sick in peace isn't it?!

    Love the photos.

    Feel free to enter my giveaway - it's open to all :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lilacs so smell amazing!! And you're right, they certainly do not last long enough!!! (hence the lilac candle I bought to try to make that sweet lovely smell last longer!) Dave and the girls picked my some for Mother's day - they are just so pretty!!

    As for cleaning - I've been thinking about the whole, assigning a day for certain tasks but so far I'm a, as you put it, fly by night kind of cleaner. Still thinking of at least assigning some certain days for bigger tasks - I've been saving some inspiration ideas on this subject - we should talk! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that we have colds settling back in AGAIN!?!?! I had to come say -(a positive to your situation...I guess) at least your little one, though sick, is able to be snuggled - mine is seriously on the MOVE now and forget me resting at all! :P I will say, at least I have the girls to try to corral him a bit! haha! Glad you are on the mends...thanks for sharing it! :P ;) hahahah!!!

      Delete
    2. Yes, although most of the time he was just crying or whiny or wriggling in my arms so there wasn't much rest to be had! ;) But thankfully we are on the mend and hopefully you all will be soon!!

      Delete
  3. I am sorry that you are feeling poorly. It is hard to be sick while your little one is sick, but take heart, it is something that will, hopefully, not linger :)

    I do work from a schedule. It is easier that way. I tend to assign tasks for each day of the week. The same goes for my laundry and creative days :) This way, I feel as if I am able to tackle everything in its time without stressing myself out about it. m.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria, we're feeling much better!

      I like the thought of assigning some tasks to different days...I might start with one (like bathrooms) and see if I can keep on it. And I like how you have a creative day scheduled in! What kind of things do you like to make?

      Delete
  4. Glad you are on the mend. Your Beppe loved lilacs so much. My Dad always made sure she had lots of them growing in the yard. I remember in clandestine trips as a child,to side roads to dig some out of some farmer's field. My soil here just doesn't seem to be good for them. All my tries have failed. Tell Joshua to give his mommy a break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember that about her. That was sweet of Pake to go hunting and dig them up for her.

      Delete
  5. My cleaning "schedule" is a work in progress! I was just cleaning the kitchen floor for the first time in AGES. I am just starting to add things back into the schedule since being pregnant/having a newborn. For the past several months it's just been a minimum of laundry and dishes and the occasional dusting. As David changes, I have to adjust. Since he is more active now, I do safe things like folding laundry while he's awake and crawling around. I try to wash a few dishes in between loading his spoon with bites of baby food. And things like washing the bathrooms/floors have to happen while he's asleep. Right now he's afraid of the vacuum so I'm still figuring that out.

    I think I will do a blog post about my "schedule" if I ever figure it out!

    Ugh, poor sick mommy. Usually it's my husband who gets sick along with the baby. So while I'm thankful to not be sick, I suddenly have no one to take the next shift. It's all mommy, all the time. Makes me thankful for those times when I DO have help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having a baby definitely throws you off...I actually have a couple piles upstairs of random things that need to be put away/organized and they've been sitting there since before Joshua was born six months ago! It will all get done in time though, so I'm not worried :)

      Delete