May 30, 2013

Six months.


I missed our five month update and I'm a little late on this one, but on the 23rd Joshua turned six months old and I just have to mark a few things down for remembrance!

In the evening just before bed I like to walk him around our back yard for an adventure. We smell lilacs (or try to eat them), touch stalks of wild bamboo, listen to the wind whispering in the treetops and squint at the sun lowering in the sky.  A few evenings ago the lighting was perfect and I got these photos...but you can see by the last picture that his patience was wearing thin.




The crazy thing about six months is that it is halfway to a year and that seems almost impossible. I am lapping up this very sweet stage of babyhood - all the growing and changing and the personality that's unfolding all the more clearly every day. Several people have remarked to me that this little guy seems to run hot and cold and I agree - either sunny and full of smiles and laughter and goofyness or grumpy and throwing fits (yes already). So yes, I think some "training" is in our future but I love the strong personality he's been given. 

  


Milestones: We started solid food at five months, beginning with rice cereal and now pureed peas and squash and banana as well. I'm still breastfeeding but my baby seems to need this solid food as well. However, the addition of solids has not persuaded him to sleep through the night for me yet - he's still getting a nighttime "top up" at 10 or 10:30 when I go to bed and then he wakes up for another feeding  usually between three and four. He does go back to sleep right after so I can't complain too much...but I still really miss a solid night of sleep!

He's also sitting up now but can't be left alone or unsupported as he'll periodically throw himself backwards or reach for a toy and topple to the side.  He frequently rolls over to his stomach but sticks his arms and legs straight out like he's an airplane, so he's not going anywhere too soon! I'm enjoying not having to follow him around and remove dangerous objects...yet!

He continues to love looking at books and any kind of music, even better with silly dancing. He's beginning to give kisses. He still loves bath time and thinks being outside is wonderful. He loves new faces and strangers that say hello and people watching.



I've written about some of the struggles and adjustments of new motherhood, but here I just have to say I truly love being a mom. God gave me this desire years ago...and I still have moments of this-is-too-good-to-be-true. This little one, ours? 

We love you more every day, Joshua Ezra.

12 comments:

  1. He is so handsome! I'm right there with ya on the sleep thing... I can't figure out why G stopped sleeping! I'm trying not to be irritable, but it's hard when you were interrupted every two hours the night before...ugh. We're starting rice cereal soon and I'm just praying it helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully that cereal gets you some more sleep!

      Delete
  2. It goes so fast eh!?! I hope he sleeps through the night for you soon!! I know how much you like your eight hours! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet! He looks so snuggly! I'd like to try an evening walk, but I'd be afraid he'd fall asleep in his stroller before we could make it home!

    We are definitely getting the temper tantrums here. Sorry he's getting you up at night. I usually find that the lapses are temporary, they might last 2 days or 2 weeks but then we go back into uninterrupted nights, though I usually have to feed him the last time around midnight.

    Also, we are barely doing solids. I really don't know the correlation between that and sleep-training, but I think I heard not to give them something too difficult to digest close to bedtime. That delicate balance of being full but not bloated. I have that problem myself still!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Joshua has only slept through the night a few times since birth. He's getting a little better though so I'm hoping that continues and we don't have big lapses when teething starts! I don't think it's indigestion of the solids getting him up though since he's always been that way...if it continues I do want to try weaning him from those night feedings eventually but it's hard...he's very insistent and I know if I just get up and nurse him he will go back to bed and I can sleep again!

      Delete
  4. Love the photos with the beautiful light!
    The night times are tough aren't they? Ivy stopped sleeping at around 6 months and we were despairing at what to do - I think they just grow out of it eventually but lack of sleep is awwwwwful! You have my sympathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! It is tough...but slowly getting better :)

      Delete
  5. P.S Just to echo the comment above mine about giving too much food before bedtime...I don't know if it was related but we stopped giving Ivy formula (we were supplementing breast feeding) and she started sleeping better almost at once. Maybe we were giving her too much to eat?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't usually link in my comments but you need to read this one. I think you will appreciate it. :)

    http://prinetimeprinepen.blogspot.com/2012/01/where-is-little-boy-i-carried.html

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, that post actually made me tear up! Picturing you logging that moment in time with your six month old and now he's 25...wow! So babies do grow up :)

      Delete
  7. I haven't had the chance to sit down and write anything in a proper post in ages. Where to people squeeze in the time?! I'd much rather sleep.

    Just to help you feel better, Riley didn't sleep "though the night" until about 9 months and he's eating solids 3 times a day now and still wakes up for a nighttime feed. He's got a very sensitive gag reflex so we're still mostly on the stage 2 foods and some exceptions with adult foods. It's tricky but it doesn't help him sleep without a feeding. Sometimes one, sometimes two bottles in a night but only milk in a cup since he turned a year ( this month he'll be 14 months!!) and the doctor said no more bottle and no more formula.

    Each child is different. Really. He's got this crazy spider crawl that started the day after he turned 11 months and he doesn't walk yet but cruises all over the place. I'm in no rush. If he's healthy and it works for you, do it. Always trust your gut!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, good to remember that each child is different and to trust those instincts!

      Delete