May 21, 2013

Our weakness, His power.


I ordered Thoughts to Make Your Heart Sing several months ago and fell in love with this book as soon as I had skimmed through a few pages. It is meant to be a devotional book of spiritual truths for children but I read several reviews suggesting that adults would enjoy it as well, and I agree. Because sometimes it is truth taught in a very simple and direct way that effects us most deeply.

One morning recently, my heart felt so heavy with discouragement - I was thinking about family difficulties that are going on, about different things I am praying about but am still waiting for guidance in, feeling inadequate and truthfully just focusing too much on myself...on my own weaknesses and sins. 

My husband was sitting at the table with Joshua on his lap and I decided to get our book and read a portion. (Yes, Joshua doesn't yet understand the words I read to him but we're building habits and laying a foundation.) This is the chapter we were on:

LIFT OFF!

What does a rocket need to lift off and go zooming into outer space? It needs a launchpad.

Do you know what God's launchpad is in our lives - from which He can do ANYTHING?

Is it great faith? Our perfect record? Incredible courage? No.

It's our weakness.

God's power comes to us in our littleness, in our brokenness, in our not knowing, in our not being able.

And when God's power meets our weakness?

Liftoff!

My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness. 2 Corinthians 12:9 (NLT)

God's power made perfect...in our littleness, in our brokenness, in our not knowing, in our not being able. Amazing, isn't it?

It is peace breathed into my soul to know that my Heavenly Father is strong for me - He doesn't ask me to make myself strong and then come to Him.  Yes, I am weak, but that doesn't disqualify me from useful service for His kingdom. I can run to the Lord when I feel like I have nothing to offer and it is there, kneeling before Him, that He shows me it doesn't matter. He delights in showing His power through us, despite what we lack. He desires in us a childlike trust and dependance.

Simple truth, yet profoundly just what I needed to be reminded of.


"...be clothed with humility, for God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble." 1 Peter 5:5



5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, lovely book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the book and how it has challenged you. Now that I have nieces, I'm on the lookout for good children's books. I'll have to keep this one in mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great little book - just might have to get myself...I mean...the kids (wink wink) a copy! ;) lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this book online recently and if I weren't so far away from home, I might have nabbed a copy. Glad to hear it is good. I believe their first book together (this author and illustrator) was "The Jesus Storybook Bible - Every story whispers his name" and it was so cutely illustrated and had a good theme (though I can't say I read every page...)..makes me glad there's another book by these two talented people.
    The Sally Lloyd-Jones has a blog, too, which is always interesting to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the Jesus Storybook Bible too! And thanks, I didn't know she had a blog.

      Delete