May 23, 2013

Being a "radical" at home.


I read Christianity Today's Her*meneutics blog with discretion since I find some of the content to be quite liberal but I did enjoy a recent article: Suburbia Needs Jesus Too.

The author addresses the "new radical movement, led by David Platt and other pastors" from the viewpoint of a stay-at-home mom in a "cookie cutter neighborhood".

I did read David Platt's book Radical a few years ago and enjoyed it's challenge to intentionally live for Christ and His kingdom. I still think it's a good read, but I thought the author of this article addressed one of the book's weaknesses and pointed out the significance of living out our Christian faith through the ordinary, seemingly mundane tasks of motherhood. After all, we can't all spend our days (nor are we called to) on inner city ministry or move across seas to be a missionary.

Being at home with my little one has been an adjustment in some ways - I wouldn't trade it for anything but I certainly do need the reminder from time to time that what I am doing is worthwhile service to God, pleasing to Him when I approach it and serve with the right heart.

Step back and remember, moms, we're raising up the next generation, and as Christians, we have the responsibility to teach and point our children toward God.

 I'm not sure what's more radical than that.



5 comments:

  1. I guess I think of it in terms of seasons and patience. For years I was the single missionary juggling lots of different responsibilities and almost always getting home late. Now I have a family and it's someone else's turn to sing/teach Sunday school/etc. Sometimes I think about jumping back in and I calculate whether or not it would be possible, but is it really worth not being home to cook dinner and tuck in the baby?

    What is the point of ministry? Just to show everyone how busy I am? Am I in such a rush to prove myself that I can't take a little time "off" to be at home? There are many ways to find the balance, but the right motivation has to be there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, there are definitely different seasons of life and it takes wisdom to see the opportunities AND limitations for each one. And great point on the "point of ministry"...I think often the desire to do more is in part due to our pride and wanting to appear a certain way to others.

      Delete
    2. Okay, now I think I might write a whole blog post on this topic.

      Delete
  2. Steph, I have this book out from my church library and I'm planning on reading it soon. I will read it with your perspective in mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a few years ago that I read it so I would love to hear your fresh take on it, Kendra.

      Delete