Apr 16, 2013

Garden beginnings


Yesterday was gorgeous - warm and full of sunshine, the kind of weather that calls you outside to pull back branches and inspect for new growth and dig around in the earth. We went to the store to buy a hoe and shovel and supplies so my husband could build me this:




































(As you can see, the sun is missing in action today.) The frame wasn't absolutely necessary but I did want to build the earth up a bit (we still have to get some dirt) and I think having a contained garden will make it more likely that I will actually keep the weeds under control.

The summer we were married I filled our city apartment balcony with pots of tomatoes and herbs but this is my first ground garden and I'm looking forward to expanding our vegetable repertoire - maybe peppers and zucchini  and some salad greens along with the tomatoes.






























I still have a few weeks to wait before it's safe to plant, but these days will be here before we know it:



 
Are you making a garden this year? What do you want to plant?




8 comments:

  1. I was thinking about getting some pots for our balcony. Tomatoes and herbs sound great. I need to get thinking about that soon. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved our balcony garden! We had great success with cherry tomatoes - if you do bigger varieties then just make sure the pots are large enough to accommodate good root spread. And the garden center I went to let me take a bunch of the black plastic pots they were no longer using for free - it never hurts to ask!

      Delete
  2. Looks good! It WAS such a gorgeous day! I was just talking with my neighbour about gardening last night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So are you guys going to have a veggie garden? :)

      Delete
    2. I hope to! Our neighbour said we can borrow their tillers to get it started - though we have to see just how much bedrock is there - might have to follow suit with a raised bed - but I'd like (all in due time) to get a really big garden so hoping we can keep it on the ground. Thinking I'll start simple this year....assuming I actually start! ;) :P

      Delete
    3. Nice neighbor! Simple is better than nothing! We could have made ours bigger but I figured this is a good start, and it's big enough for the veggies we like most, and that I feel are the most cost effective to grow rather than buy.

      Delete
    4. and on a side note - did you notice the nice Bokeh in that last shot? ;)

      Delete
  3. You could plant now if you put plastic over your seedlings at night...at least peas and onions.

    ReplyDelete