Mar 10, 2013

Childhood memory.


Day ten of the 30 photo challenge:

For this photo I had to go digging through a large box in the back of my closet. Allow me to introduce you to my first "serious" journal which I began at the age of ten. It is a slim volume with pink and purple flowers on the front which I had carefully picked out at our local dollar store, thrilled to be starting a very important account of my life. 



I took my writing very seriously, including the smallest details of my days (lists of school subjects and what I ate for breakfast) as well as long accounts (animals I found and tried to adopt, fights I had with my sister, and what I thought of such and such a person).  A few samples:

Today for breakfast we had pancakes. After lunch I was sitting upside down on the couch. I did a backwards summersalt off it and hit Timmy's toy piano. One of the keys broke. Mom had a big fit. I don't know why, it's just a little piano. Timmy's almost too old for it anyway. (Rough-housing again, and such attitude!)

Today (at the cottage) Chrissy and I took the big grey paddle boat out. We usually can handle it. However it was windy and we got washed down the lake. Mom had to run down the lake and she finally jumped in. But the wind kept washing us down the lake more so mom had to jump  out of the boat in the weeds and drag us back to the cottage. She was mad at first but then she wasn't anymore. (My poor mom, I think she had told us not to take the boat out far and we did anyway - I have a vision of her covered in grimy seaweed, soaking wet as she dragged us back to shore.)

Today was Saturday and I got to sleep late. I read my library book all morning. (Ah, the good old days)

...I didn't know you could miss a dog so much once its been taken away from you. I wish Sandy could have lived here. She was the best dog in the whole world...(this was a stray who was only at our house for a few hours, but my heart was broken. Such a drama queen.)

I love having this record of my younger self, as silly (or embarrassing!) as the entries may be. I didn't realize it at the time, but journal writing would become such an important outlet for me as the years went by, taking me into my teens, and through those single years, as a new wife and now a mom.

 Writing has always helped me - who tends to be too dramatic and overly emotional at times - to simplify what's going on in my life and gain fresh perspective. It's helped me turn to God time and time again as I write out my heart, prose often turning into prayer.

And I think I've come a long way from the entries in my little pink and purple book :)


7 comments:

  1. Yes, you were quite a little drama queen sometimes, but you also had a very poetic heart. Even as a little person you lived life full and richly. What a treasure and a lovely legacy you have compiled in your little books. I remember the cover of this one well. One thing I never did though is read your journals. I always felt they were private expressions of your heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mom, you were the one who got me hooked on books and writing :)

      Delete
  2. Cute, thanks for sharing these - I love what kids think! I never kept a journal but remember some of the ways I viewed life as a litle! ;) Would have been neat to see the cover for your photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thought about doing the cover but I liked this view instead.

      Delete
  3. You were a great writer even then. I have some similar journal entries; I was very detailed and was nominated "future novelist." I used to write hour-by-hour descriptions of family vacations, including what my siblings said and did. I remember fighting over a toy with my younger brother and feeling anguished that my mother gave it to him since he was younger. Ahhh, childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't see your entry until today, but I got the overview from Elissa yesterday. You have quite the following. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know she read my blog, thanks for telling me :)

      Delete