Jan 9, 2013

Yum.

Happy new year! I'm a little late, aren't I...I've had posts swirling in my brain for a couple weeks but somehow whenever I want to sit down and write my baby needs me, or there is something else I need to put before blogging. Such is life these days.

I have a minute though, so I thought I would post a couple simple recipes that make, in my opinion, the perfect lunch or snack: homemade pitas and hummus. I made these yesterday and they are so good. And healthy and inexpensive to make, which are my goals for food preparation right now (still aiming at a frugal budget).

Both are recipes I found online at some point and modified to my liking.

Simple Hummus (makes about five cups)

You need:
  •  4 cups cooked chick peas
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup tahini paste
  • 1 tsp salt
  •  2 Tbs lemon juice
  • 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped.
To prepare:

I use 2 cups of dried chickpeas - soaked overnight they will fill a four cup measuring cup. Cook and reserve some of the liquid. Definitely the most inexpensive route!

Blend the chickpeas in a food processor with  about a half cup of the liquid leftover from cooking or in the can. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth - I usually leave it running for about five minutes so it's really smooth. You can enjoy right away or let it sit in a container for a while for the garlic to intensify. So good with raw veggies or with....

Whole Wheat Pitas (with a bread machine)

You need:
  • 1 1/8 cups water
  • 3 cups flour (I do one cup white and two whole-wheat)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbs oil
  • 1 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp yeast
To prepare:

Throw everything in your bread machine and start the dough cycle.

When complete, knead a few times on a floured surface and roll dough into 12 inch rope. With a knife, slice into 8 equal portions. Knead each portion and shape into a ball, then with a rolling pin roll each into about a 6-7 inch circle. Leave on the counter and cover with saran wrap or a couple dish towels. Let sit for a half hour.

Oven should be pre-heated to 450F. Place each dough circle (a few at a time) onto a wire cooling rack placed directly on your middle oven rack. Bake for 4 minutes, (it's fun to watch them puff up!) then place directly into a large sealed paper bag to cool. Continue with the rest, adding them to the bag as you go. This will allow them to soften in the steam as they cool. Alternatively, you can just place them on your counter under a towel.

These are the best pitas I've ever had - much better then from the grocery store - perfectly chewy and delicious, ready to be best friends with your homemade hummus!



6 comments:

  1. Thankyou for the pita recipe. I will make it soon. I love all the good food I'm seeing on line, you, Kait, yum is right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't do the pitas - (gluten) :( but they sound yummy! :) I was planning on making hummus this week, we'll eat ours with gluten free crackers, rice crackers or veggies. Did you know, that's the same hummus recipe I've always done except I add soya sauce - for colour and a touch of saltyness (because we all KNOW how I love salt, now don't we!?!) Glad you're still finding time to get into the kitchen! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah - and I don't have a food processor so I use a blender and it works great too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recipes! I am trying artisan bread right now. I like that you can make the dough and then bake it when you have time.

    Enjoy that baby! I'm realizing I can hardly remember what my baby was like at 2 months. I really need to do more journal-writing! But I remember feeling like 4 months was just heaven, and 6 months is even better.

    ReplyDelete