Dec 13, 2012

Babies don't keep

























 .
My sister was here for a visit the other day and I asked her to take a picture of us. She started to zoom in but I told her to capture us as we were....just a small corner of the chaos that was everywhere that day. (Okay, most every day over the last few weeks.)

This is one of the things that has been an adjustment for me - just sitting. There is laundry to catch up on, dishes to do, floors that need vacuuming, disorder all around. I'm one of those strange individuals that actually enjoys housekeeping so it feels annoying not to be able to tackle it when I want to. Somehow putting a room together has always been therapeutic to me, making me feel much more calm even if other things are going on in life. 

But these days, I have a little one to attend to. He comes first. He's my priority. And looking at this picture, I see his smallness, his need of me. A moment in time that I know will pass all too quickly. I want to relish the feel of him in my arms and not feel pulled away by other things.

Mother, O' Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth.
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.

Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due,
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek - peekaboo.

The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew,
And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo.
But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren't his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo.

The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow,
But children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

~ Ruth Hulbert Hamilton

8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful picture of my two favorite people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so true - it's why, almost seven months later, I STILL have boxes to unpack - but they wait, in my pantry - because one is enough fun, but with three....well obviously I can live without whatever is in those boxes! ;)

    But I totally understand, keeping home just feels good - but priorities in order, God, hubby, kids, cleaning the house, THEN laundry! ;) lol!!

    And that is an ADORABLE poem!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! I got tears in my eyes reading this. You are a great mama.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Precious picture! Your room is what my whole house looks like for the first 9 months or so post baby:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha. This poem hung on our fridge for quite some time while you and the sibs were growing up. Enjoy that little man because as I said last night, he is growing much too quickly! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, what a dear photo!

    Apparently I am not the only one with boxes to unpack and a young baby! I am TERRIBLE at cleaning, but I do like arranging things...hanging photos, lining up books on the shelves...decorating for the holidays...why does nesting have to apply only to pregnant women?

    People tell you to take it easy, but it really is therapy to do a tiny bit of housekeeping, as long as you don't start huge projects!

    I often go through and pick up all the baby things so there aren't diapers and blankets, etc. in every single room. But then again, there is something sweet about a little sock just sitting there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol we survived like that for about 6 months. It's hard to just sit and enjoy when you feel like you should be doing everything else. As for right now I feel like Riley will be sleeping on me forever.

    ReplyDelete