Nov 21, 2012

women and worrying: a recommendation

One of my recent favourite authors and women's speakers is Elyse Fitzpatrick. I find her refreshing.

It is not difficult to find hosts of authors that offer easy "this many steps" to whatever you are lacking. Books and studies that are light and fluffy and filled with stories and surface solutions.

In contrast, what I like about Elyse is that she is honest and real about the difficulties of life and that she digs deeply intro Scripture in her counsel. No matter the topic, she always goes back to the gospel and how the implications of the gospel are practical and meet our every need as Christians.

So I recommend looking around on her site! I also recommend this message that I recently listened to in which she addresses the issue of women and worrying (I like that she admitted that she was up until 2am the night before giving this message - worrying).

I'm guessing this is a topic that we can all easily relate to right? The message is an hour but honestly is so worth setting aside some quiet time to give it a good listen, even with pen and paper in hand. I was going to listen while I cleaned house but found myself sitting down part way through because it was just so good and I didn't want to miss anything.

And just because I like bite sized nuggets of truth, I'll leave you with a section from the Heidelburg Catechism that she quoted in her message:

"I trust Him so much that I do not doubt he will provide whatever I need for body and soul, and He will turn to my good whatever adversity he sends me in this sad world.
 He is able to do this because he is almighty God; He desires to do this because he is a faithful Father."

3 comments:

  1. Anxiously awaiting a baby post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it would be a good listen - boo on my no bandwidth!!! But I'll bookmark her site and check it out some time! Thanks for the bite sized nuggets - I like those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard Elyse speak at the counselling conference in Lafayette, IN last February. I can't say that I thought she was amazing, but I hear her books are great ... so maybe I should give her another chance. :) Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete