May 24, 2012

spiritual lazyness

I always seem to have an excuse at hand when spiritual lazyness creeps into my life.

I think to myself, I am not pursuing God with whole-hearted devotion right now, not carving out time for prayer and reading or thinking seriously about sanctification, but I will...

after things calm down, when I'm not as busy/preoccupied/distracted, once I get back into a normal routine, once I have everything tidy and ordered and just the way I like it...

 you know, manageable things like that.

But somehow life never really stays still for long, some kind of distraction or excuse always pops up.

 I had a quiet moment the other evening, propped up in bed with my newest reading material at hand (pregnancy related) but decided to pick up my Bible instead and found myself in Ephesians:

"Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is." (5:15,16)

I always seem to be hit the hardest with the simple truths of Scripture. In this passage, I'm told to be wise, to use my time wisely, not to be foolish, (which I am if I am not living according to Scripture) to understand what the Lord requires. Not difficult truths to understand, but difficult to build into a life, to apply consistently.

But as soon as I stop, listen, and let the Word take root, I'm stirred towards change. It is God's power at work in me as I am simply required to take the first step, and then the next and so on. One choice at a time, slowly building habits and discipline that will bear fruit in my life: a greater intimacy and love for the Lord, a growing away from my sinful likeness and more into His likeness.

Gifts worth so much more than the lesser things distractions offer.

2 comments:

  1. Its an ongoing process, isn't it? I read a book once called,"One Step Forward, Two Steps Back". Our spiritual growth looks like that sometimes, but what matters is that we are changing bit by bit to become more like Christ. He understands our weaknesses and He says that when we are weak, He is Strong. Those are the times we often lean on Him most!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recently I started a "read the Bible in one year" plan, because I was struggling to get myself in the Word and finding I was aimless when I did. It has already been so good so far. Also considering a Facebook fast -- because, like you, I've been spiritually lazy. It is worth the work to pursue HIM!

    A challenge to me from today's reading in 1 Samuel: “If you are returning to the Lord with all your hearts, then rid yourselves of the foreign gods and the Ashtoreths and commit yourselves to the Lord and serve him only, and he will deliver you out of the hand of the Philistines.”

    ReplyDelete