May 9, 2012

More change ahead

After we found out the news, the following weeks seemed to blend into a mass of excitement, preoccupied thoughts, and then full-force morning sickness and exhaustion for me. Nothing like that to welcome you to first-time pregnancy! Days stretched by slowly, built around when I could eat and how long I could actually keep that food down. And striving to hide these symptoms while at work; no easy challenge! But now looking back on it, time seems to have quickly passed. And thankfully, moving into the second trimester, I'm feeling quite a bit better other than some off moments.

Which is good, because I'm going to need the energy! Somewhere just before month two, our realization of the high costs of upgrading to a two bedroom apartment led us to consider buying a house instead, since we wanted to start investing our money into that rather than lose so much on rent every month, especially now that we had started a family!

And with Loris still struggling to find work in the city, we began to question whether God was encouraging us to look elsewhere, even though we really thought this city is where we would make our home and settle over the long-term. So on a whim we began to consider moving back to the small city (barely more than a town!) where I spent most of my growing up years around and in, where I had moved from after we were married last year.

We set up several showings with an agent before we even knew if we could get approved for a mortgage on my under-full-time income. And then we found what we felt to be our house - a 100 year old home on a quiet street that definitely required some improvements but just might be within our budget!

So we made an offer and then waited for the details to fall together (letters of employment, bank statements and such) for our loan approval. Our broker ended up approving us for only $500 more than the offer we happened to have made on the house, commenting that it was a tight stretch and the only reason that she approved us is she figured if we were living on the income we had in the city we were living in, and still able to save for a down payment, then we must know how to live within our means. Nice to know all that budgeting and using coupons and eating a whole lot of "rice and beans" was paying off!

And then our offer was accepted and just like that we were headed towards first-time home ownership and first-time parenthood when a couple months before I never would have imagined either.

The ironic thing is that Loris got a call shortly after this for a job that he had really wanted and had applied for months before. He was interviewed and accepted and starts the middle of this month, just a couple weeks before our closing and moving date. So for the time being he'll have an hour or more commute, but is planning on keeping the job until he can find something where we are moving. We haven't quite figured out how we are both going to commute (since I will keep my job until I go on mat leave) with one vehicle and more than likely very different shifts, but hopefully the details will fall into place! 

(Photo: gifts of spring at a nearby park. And I am going to miss this park.)

9 comments:

  1. Ahh, but there are lovely parks here too, and trails and the river. Lovely places to walk the baby. You will find your niche. So glad you are moving back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, two big fun things - 2012 is your year! :D It will be nice to have you back in this ol city...er town as you have it! ;) :P Just think, it's about the same size and roaming space as what you were enjoying in the large city - but here it is actually affordable! ;) :P And when you miss those parks, you just come on out and wander though our little country setting! :D

    As for the shifts and such, I'm eager to see how God will work it all out....He is pretty awesome! ;) I know (as I know you do to) that He has this all planned out for you two - so I will pray for wisdom and reliance on Him!

    Ooooooo, I'm so excited for you guys!!!!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kaitlin! I'll definitely miss some things that a big city has to offer (the cultural diversity, museums, the many festivals or free events, interesting restaurants, etc) but I'm also looking forward to this new adventure, and being closer to you!

      Delete
    2. Hahaha, true -some cultural diversity is sorely missing from out little city!!!! Bring some back with you! I'm looking forward to your new adventure too and being closer - such an exciting time for you and well third and third for me but still exciting too! Our God is pretty darn AWESOME!!! :D

      Delete
  3. Happy to hear all the news! God will work out the details - as he already has the big picture. Keep your hope in Him! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Homeownership is exciting. Having a baby is exciting! I know you've just found out but have you thought about how you'll birth the baby? Is that too personal? Naturally I recommend hypnobirthing over Bradley classes and even though I wasn't able to be fully into my hypnobirthing I still believe I had a great pregnancy and a positive delivery. It's all in the attitude. Please, if you'd like, feel free to ask any questions. You can email me too! jpcatter(at)gmail(dot)com

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have started thinking about it quite a bit! My sister-in-law saw a family doctor during her first two pregnancies but now with her third pregnancy has seen a midwife. She can't say enough good about this experience over the other so after looking into it, I chose to see a midwife as well for the duration of this pregnancy and birth. I've been reading a lot of books about midwifery and natural child birth and at this point am leaning strongly towards a natural birth at home. I did google hypnobirthing, never heard of it before. Seems interesting and I like the emphasis on remaining calm and focused, but having a pain-free birth? Really? I'm skeptical :)

      Delete
  5. I really have changed my mind on home birth because if Riley had been born at home so many bad things could go wrong. Have you thought about laboring at home for as long as possible or a birthing center?


    If you watch some hypnobirthing videos you'll see how these women look totally relaxed. My contractions were in a different place than I expected. Mine were along where my legs a tach to the torso so really really low and I expected them in my belly. Hypo did help me remain calm making decisions and overall even with all my issues I would say I had a great pregnancy and delivery. The hospital and my doctor really accepted my desires for as natural as possible. I think communication is key whether you decide on a doctor or midwife. If you decide on a doctor check out their Darcy ion rate. Most are 30% but should be 8% or less! You can call the hospital if the doc won't tell you but they have to report it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There aren't any birthing centers in our city but the hospital is literally a five minute drive away (or less) from where we'll be living so I'm not too worried - we can get there quickly should me or baby need care that a midwife can't provide. My feelings may change as the time comes closer though, who knows! I'm glad that your birth experience was positive, even if you had to adjust plans.

    ReplyDelete