Feb 16, 2012

Thoughts on blogging (over chamomile tea).





















The kitchen is finally clean - dishes stacked in the drain rack and surfaces wiped. Stray items picked up around the apartment, books tidied on the bookshelves and cushions straightened on the couch. The sky is dark outside and cars hum by on the street but in here, alone for the evening, stillness settles. I brew a cup of tea and gather my Bible and journal and a stack of reads but stop for a few minutes first to write.

Wondering why I've felt the itch to write so many times but any attempt to organize thoughts into something worth sharing proves futile. Perhaps because the things that come to mind are laced with questions, not conclusions...circumstances and ideas that are being worked out, prayed about, waited upon. I like things to be wrapped up nice and neat.

But tonight I called my mom and she told me to get blogging because there are lots of little things to reflect on (even if silly) and I thought, isn't it the small things that add up to the big? And for me, writing (pencil scribbles or typing) helps me think, helps me see, pulls me along to wider horizons. I want to be less concerned (within this context) with brilliant writing and a polished, purposeful post and just write. The I'm here, and this is what's on my mind, if you want to hear it kind of writing.

With that said, I struggle with balancing privacy and authenticity in keeping a blog. It is easy to misread intentions or make assumptions that are not accurate when you are reading just scraps of a person's life. I want to tell about life and marriage and struggles and happiness and what God is teaching me, but I don't want to come across as either living in perfect bliss or in total despair.

I think though, that keeping all that in mind, the good in blogging outweighs the possible negatives. Through reading blogs, I've been encouraged, amused, I've learned, I've grown. I've met kindred spirits. So I want to keep writing.

(photo credit)

6 comments:

  1. I was looking for another good blog...and I think I found it. I've read your last few posts and you and I seem to be quite a like (though I've been married to my best friend for 17 years)! I agree with your mom - keep blogging. Now that I've found your writing, I'd like to visit often. May the Lord bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good girl. You are still very obedient. *Chuckle*. Really though, you have been given a gift from God to share your heart in words, and I love seeing you use it. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steph, I was thinking along these lines just this morning. What's too much? What's too little? I can relate in this post where you said that your mind is laced with questions not answers and that you like things "wrapped up nice and neat". Precisely! But right now, in this season, I have a lot of questions and no answers.I not sure how to blog in that place.

    You keep blogging with your genuine heart because your words here reminded me that I'm not the only one trying to learn to write through the questions.

    Love you, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your encouragement, I really do appreciate it!

    And Victoria, thanks so much for your kind comment, I'm glad you'll be reading and look forward to getting to know you a little as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you are going to keep blogging :)

    Also, I tagged you on my blog and would love it if you checked it out :)
    Blessings!
    Katy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you do keep writing more! I always love reading your thoughts. :-)

    ReplyDelete