Sep 17, 2011

Offered treasure













Loris works Saturdays
,
and I usually fill up the day with running errands, shopping for groceries, cleaning our apartment, and other chores.
This morning I went to get my car license plate renewed and was surprised not to be met with a giant line-up at the Service Canada office.Which meant, of course, that this beautiful fall-cool day was calling me! Not to go home and do laundry, but to embrace the sunshine and deep blue sky and rest a while.

I went down to the beach and found it almost empty, except for squirrels chasing each other through fallen leaves (already) and frequent groups of Canada Geese honking their way across the sky.

Coffee, a picnic table, and some good reading material made my day. Here are some of the Scriptures I read, and the journaled version of what the Lord was showing me as I took the time to listen, and to look to Him. As often is the result of time with Him - I was convicted and encouraged. I hope you are as well:

"...for the Spirit searches all things, even the depths of God. For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God.

Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God...

Who has known the mind of the Lord, that He will instruct Him? But we have the mind of Christ." (I Corinthians 2:10-12,15)

In this world of conflicting viewpoints and confusing situations, it is comforting - a precious promise - to know that God desires us to know truth - He freely gives us knowledge of Him and His ways through His Spirit which dwells wi
thin us. So why do I often struggle with understanding a certain situation, or decision making? Why am I often confused or wondering what God's heart is towards me or another I know? Why am I often incompetent to counsel another, or even myself?

It is true that many things are beyond human comprehension, but I think the problem is often that I haven't spent enough time drinking in the riches of God's Word - I am not listening, not taking the time to be still before Him, to seek Him in prayer.

Loris often quotes one of his favourite preachers, Leonard Ravenhill, and I think it was him who said something like, "Many people will stand before Christ (after death) and find that on earth they were absolute spiritual paupers when untold riches could have been theirs."














How true this is. So much is offered to us who are in Christ - cleansing, wisdom, peace, joy, bread for every hunger, water for every thirst, true purpose, a song in the night...and the list is unending.

God, in His grace, often heaps much more of these things upon us than we go looking for, asking for. I praise Him for that. But my heart cries (He has put the desire within, such holy longings could never come from myself) More, my Lord! I know you so little, desire You so little, love you so little!

May I (and the rest of His body) steadfastly seek for that which He has freely offered.

1 comment:

  1. It is always good to hear from you! I enjoy those moments where I get to stop in a park and read my Bible, too. I need to do that more!

    ReplyDelete